Who would know that a piece of clothing made especially for trips to the bathroom could become something to be worn on the streets, to restaurants, and even to award shows!
Taking robes out in public began in 2017 with celebrities donning them for the paps. But with the pandemic and along with which came the insatiable demand for loungewear clothing, never enabled robes to go out of style.
In the midst of the pandemic, we still had to dress up for Zoom calls, webinars, etc and we all came to realize that wearing chic ensembles for meetings while sitting at home would look nothing less than hilarious. Although, we still wanted to look beautiful and feel confident. This led to robes stealing our hearts all over again (and our closet space too).
Even after returning to normalcy, we have pledged not to compromise on comfort because we know that it doesn’t take a lot to look bold and beautiful even while donning casual loungewear. So, robes are now meeting bus stops, movie theaters, patisseries, and brunch dates.
So, let’s discuss a few ways to style a robe:
- My personal favorite way of styling a robe is by draping it over denim and solid tees. This look gives off a very classic yet bohemian vibe. Try to look for pastel-colored solid tees to go with the denim, and do not forget to experiment with robes of different patterns, colors, and fabrics. A white tee, casual jeans, and a multicolored robe can never go wrong. Add bracelets, minimalist necklaces, and lots of rings to bring out the boho you.
- Second comes a bodycon dress. A simple bodycon dress paired with stilettos and red lips just doesn't cut it anymore. Ever since we’ve heard of layering, we have gotten addicted.
Here’s an idea: Pick a beige sheath dress, add a dark-colored printed robe on top. Go for a silk fabric to add elegance to the outfit. Pair it with beige strappy heels and a clasp purse to add a sense of femininity.
- Let’s keep the repurposing aside for a minute and embrace the heaven that robes were made in. Wear it as a robe with your favorite pajamas for a night in with your friends.
- Another quirky idea is pairing a robe with a tube crop top and a pair of shorts. Wearing two different prints at once is a new trend this year, and what better way to embrace it! Be conscious about the prints you choose for the shorts and the robe because they shouldn’t fall apart but complement each other.
- The final and quirkiest of all: Pair it with a saree! Many Indian influencers have styled sarees with robes. We all know how sarees paired with trench coats stole hearts of Parisian designers so here’s a way to recreate the same in summer. Pick the right robe, don’t go overboard with the blouse and add a belt to add a flair of boldness and modernity. Try it once and you’ll be donning the best outfit in the next wedding you’re invited to!
So, which one’s your favorite?